Sunday, October 2, 2011

Follow? Really?


Everyone and their mother is blogging these days. Now, I'm quite stubborn so I've adamantly refused for some time.  I am not a frikin follower!  Why would I want to blog?!  Yet, here I am…ya know…blogging.  The tension isn't gone, I'm just learning to navigate it (more on that later).  I ask only this: read this post in its entirety before deciding on me.  Can ya do that?  It's short I promise.

As I've said, I hate being a follower.  Don't you?  Even when I'm "following" someone, I'm doing it consciously and for a purpose.  Let me explain.  In theatre (I'm an actor) you may have to follow someone while crossing downstage right; fine, that's one thing.  But it's quite another to mindlessly take your cues from Cowboy #3 out of the corner of your eye during Moonshine Lullaby because you were too lazy to get your crap together before tech week.  Guess what?  You've officially pissed off the entire cast and you look like an idiot.  We've all met this guy.  Don't be him.  Please.

But, I’ve noticed something strange.  In the Christian world (I'm a Christian too), the word ‘follower’ seems to a badge of honor (e.g. *knock, knock* I’m sorry I woke you up from your Saturday nap. How would YOU like to be follower…*long pause*…of Jesus Christ?).  What is that?!  Why would I want my title of choice to be a follower? This isn’t an isolated incident either.  It seems like Christians tend to do crazy things like this on a regular basis.  They’ll take a word or concept that usually has a negative connotation and then ‘water-into-wine it’ into a desired character trait.  It's weird.

Is it possible to live in both worlds?  The question goes way beyond a shaky metaphor of grammatical usage.  What happens when the world of “leading ladies” combines with a dude named Jesus saying “come follow me?” What happens when the world of the arts collides with faith?  An explosion.  But it does not and should not be an explosion that results in protests, scathing degradation, or a demand to choose sides.  What kind of explosion then?  You'll see. 


Hi.  I'm Tim.

Consider this the overture to a musical that could surprise you.


No comments:

Post a Comment